[html5] Top Nav: in or out of Header?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Dec 24 11:15:22 PST 2013

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013, Brian Tremblay wrote:
> On 12/23/13, 7:23 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Dec 2013, Brian Tremblay wrote:
> > >
> > > [*] NB: afaik, <hgroup> has been depracated.
> >
> > Nope, the <hgroup> element is alive and well. :-)
>
> I'm confused then. So there's just been /requests/ to remove it?
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/hgroup
> http://www.iandevlin.com/blog/2013/04/html5/hgroup-removed-from-the-html5-specification
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2013Apr/0060.html

The W3C maintains a fork of the HTML spec. It's true that for some reasons
that I don't quite understand, in the W3C version, they've removed the
<hgroup> element. But the WHATWG HTML standard still has <hgroup>, and
browsers still support it, and it's not going anywhere.

Personally I would recommend ignoring the W3C's HTML efforts. While they
do apply most of the edits that are made to the WHATWG spec to their spec
as well, they don't always do so, and they don't always do so correctly,
and they also make other changes (like not speccing <hgroup>) which don't
make much sense. The same applies to other WHATWG specs for which they
maintain forks, like XMLHttpRequest, URL, etc.

Behind the scenes efforts to reduce this confusion continue. If anyone has
any questions about it, feel free to mail me privately. (Let's keep it off
this mailing list, though, so that we can keep this list to more technical
matters that more directly help authors!)

Cheers,