[html5] Accessing the user's installed fonts

Oliver Sartun osartun at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 02:58:48 PDT 2013

Hello Bjartur,

2013/7/27 Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95 at gmail.com>:
> On 07/24/2013 03:02 PM, Oliver Sartun wrote:
>>
>> for all I know it's not possible to retrieve a list of all fonts a
>> user has installed on his system via JavaScript. Is that correct?
>
> AFAIK, yes.
>

>> Is a solution to this problem in the making? Or hasn't this been
>> addressed yet? Or does a solution already exist that I'm not aware of?
>
> AFAIK, no.

Thanks for the answers.

> There are technical details that should be given some thought
> before an API to system fonts is implemented, such as the fact that the
> exact set of font that you have installed might be unique enough to
> effectively identify you, and thus track you.

Yes, I know that a lot of things have to be considered before adding a
new feature to the webplatform.
Concerning the traceability: It's still possible to achieve the same
thing via Flash. So, if someone wants to access the user's fonts it's
already possible.

=========

I already got answers from Jeffrey Barke, but our conversation
happened outside this mailinglist.
So, for completeness' sake and with Jeffrey's consent I'm posting our
conversation here: