[html5] That alt tag!

Bob McClelland bob at betasite.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 05:48:17 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Is 'alt' in or out, for validation?  The validator always used to complain if I didn't have one, then recently it stopped doing (And I read reports that "I didn't need to use an alt tag any more)  and today it's complaining again!

All this chopping and changing drives me potty and gives rise to two questions- 1) What is the current position regarding alt tags, and 2) what's the best way to be informed whenever a change (to any part of the whole html5 spec) is implemented?

Many thanks,

Bob