[html5] HTML5 validator incorrectly warns about bad "utf-8" value

Jaime Iniesta jaimeiniesta at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 12:42:08 PDT 2013

Hi, I've just installed validator.nu on my server, and it complains on most
documents that contain

with this message:

#########
Error: Bad value utf-8 for attribute charset on element meta: utf-8 is not
a valid character encoding name.

>From line 13, column 5; to line 13, column 26

↩ ↩ <meta charset="utf-8">↩

Syntax of encoding name:An encoding name labeled as a "preferred MIME name"
in the IANA Character Sets registry. Example: utf-8
##########

Here's a fresh install of validator.nu on an Ubuntu Server 12.10 64 bits,
showing the error. Notice the one about "utf-8":

http://198.211.121.35:8888/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com

And here is the log that I get when running the "python build/build.py
all" script.
The same error is happening there, and the Java exception keeps happening:

https://gist.github.com/jaimeiniesta/5127636

This is not happening on http://validator.nu so I guess it's a recent bug
and the installed version on the official site is previous to it.

Thanks for your help!
Jaime Iniesta