[html5] <header>, <hgroup> and subheadings

Jukka K. Korpela jukka.k.korpela at kolumbus.fi
Thu May 2 00:59:44 PDT 2013

2013-05-02 3:38, Micky Hulse wrote:
> Hmm, just read that the <hgroup> has been removed from the spec:
>
> http://html5doctor.com/the-hgroup-element/
>
> "Update 16th April, 2013. hgroup has now been removed from the HTML5
> specification. We are working on an article to help guide authors on
> which markup patterns they should use instead."

There is no HTML5 specification. There are just more or less mutable
working documents confusingly called "specifications" or "standards". In
particular,

1) the HTML 5.0 CR by the W3C still has the <hgroup> element:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/

2) the editor's draft HTML 5.1 Nightly has it removed now, following the
W3C working group decision:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/

3) the HTML Living HTML by the WHATWG still has it, with no note about
being removed:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/

The natural approach is to mark headings by their structural level. You
don't then combine e.g. <h2> and <h3> into a single "header group"
supposed to act as a header block at structural level 2, worrying about
automatic analyzers getting the structure wrong somehow. Instead, you
use simply <h2> and style its parts differently if desired. The old and
robust way would be

<h2>The basic heading<br>
<small>The explanatory or more detailed "sub-heading"</small></h2>

but if you wish to try to use <br> and <small> by their semantics in
HTM5 / Living HTML (even though that semantics looks incomprehensible to
mortals), you would presumably use semantically empty markup and do all
the formatting in CSS:

<h2>The basic heading
"sub-heading"</span></h2>

Either of these approaches makes the entire heading text a 2nd level
heading from the perspective of search engines. This should be OK
because that's what it is, even though some parts thereof might be seen
as less important than others.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/