[html5] HTML5 canvas.toDataURL suggestions

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Sep 17 10:45:48 PDT 2013

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Sigurd Lerstad wrote:

> The use case for my canvas.toDataURL improvements is making a
> paint/drawing program and presenting more options to the user when
> exporting to a file format.

If we're requiring the browser to implement all these different encoding
mechanisms for the Web, why not just go the extra step and require that
browsers support transcoding images in the UI? Then you don't need to
provide any of this in the drawing apps, you just provide a link to the
image as a data: URL or some such, and the browser provides a save dialog
that lets you configure the settings, format, etc. It would be barely any
additional work, and would mean you wouldn't have to update both the
browsers and the drawing apps to add new features.

On the other hand, if browsers aren't going to want to implement that
(which seems likely), then why would they implement (at the API level) all
the various configuration options you would want to offer? It seems almost
certain that a drawing app would end up wanting to offer something that
the browser doesn't support (indeed it's already happened, hence your
e-mail). Given that, it seems that the better solution, rather than
relying on the browser to provide an encoder, is to provide your own,
either in JavaScript or with server support.

> As for your point of sending to a server, what if a server isn't
> available, what if this is an offline app?

Then I guess you'd have to do it in JavaScript.