[html5] Appropriate markup for index documents

Andrew Croce andrew.croce at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 09:07:48 PST 2014

So what I was considering is something like a catalog…

<index> <!— What element should this be? —>
	<header>
		<h1>Catalog of Items</h1>
	</header>

	<nav>{some filters, perhaps}</nav>

	<ol>
		<li>Catalogued item #1</li>
		<li>Catalogued item #2</li>
		<li>Catalogued item #3</li>
	</ol>

I suppose you could possibly argue that a <dl> might satisfy the semantics, though it wouldn’t really be a definition LIST, just sort of a highly abstracted definition… a stretch, I think. Also, its not clear how sectioning algorithms would handle the scope of a headings, for instance, in the context of a <dl>.

<dl>
	<dt>
		<header>
			<h1>Catalog of Items</h1>