[html5] table with fixed headers

Frank Hellenkamp jonas at depagecms.net
Thu Jul 3 11:11:19 PDT 2014

Hi Larry,

> Larry, I have seen several people attempt to achieve what you are trying
> to do, but I've never seen a solution that didn't involve fixed column
> widths.
>
> Not to say it's impossible.

IF (and only if) the column headlines are always smaller than the
content inside (so that they don't have to stretch the table cells), it
seems possible:

http://jsfiddle.net/34Fd5/28/

Notice the additional <span> around the headers with absolute positions,
the extra container, to keep the relative-root outside of the
scrollcontainer, and the fake background to outside of the table content.

You cannot center or right align the header titles though, because it
would destroy our positioning.

Best

Frank

--