[html5] table with fixed headers

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 11:14:06 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Brian Tremblay <webmaster at tsmchughs.com> wrote:
> On 7/3/14, 7:34 AM, Larry Martell wrote:

>>> [snip html table]

>>> You need to explain what you think should happen that doesn't.
>>

>> I have said what I want to happen: I want a table with fixed headers
>> (i.e. headers that do not scroll off the screen when the table is
>> scrolled) and I want the table cells to auto size as a table will
>> normally do.
>

> You also said the columns weren't lining up with the data:

Yes, the headers were not lining up with the data, but that is because
the table is not auto sizing,

> On 7/1/14, 9:19 AM, Larry Martell wrote:
>>
>> Thanks very much for the reply Martin. But this doesn't seem to fix
>> my problem - i.e. the column headers are not aligned with the data
>

> So I was trying to answer that part of your question.
>
>>> BTW, your html has more than 30 errors, including this one:
>>>
>>> "Warning: A table row was 3 columns wide, which is less than the
>>>
>>> column count established by the first row (4)."
>>>
>>> Correct that, and the columns may line up the way you'd expect.
>>

>> I posted a small example showing the problem. The 'errors' have
>> nothing to do with the issue.
>

> First: I'm not sure why you put quote marks around "errors". It's almost
> as though you think they're imaginary. They're not. You misspelled
> "align" as "aligh" 15 times. That's not the only error.

I did not notice that, sorry.

> Second: how do you know that removing the errors won't fix the problem?

Because I have it without errors in my app and the issue is there. The
errors were introduced when I was cut and pasting into jsfiddle and
then trying different things there.

>>> And please correct the other errors while you're at it, so that
>>> debugging is easier and we can provide better help.
>

> That's the key. When I post your code in my editor, I first have to
> correct all your errors before I can start troubleshooting. If you did
> that, perhaps the data would line up, and we could focus on the problem
> of getting fixed headers and footers on your table.
>

>> But I have found out that by setting display:block on the tbody, I
>> essentially remove the “tableness”. So I am SOL.
>

> I'd think some combination of css positioning would do the job. But I'm not
> going to spend time on the css if the underlying html is broken. Too many
> blind alleys.

OK, thanks for taking the time to look at it anyway.