[html5] table with fixed headers

Gary Turner gary.kk5st at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 17:36:58 PDT 2014

My apologies if this post doesn't properly address the list; I'm on GMail
and damed if I can find the 'reply to list' function.

To my knowledge, NS6+ and Mozilla were the only browsers to properly
support a scrolling tbody. For whatever reason, Firefox dropped this
support sometime after 2006.

Simply, the css was
tbody {
  overflow: auto;
  height: xxx;
  }

The work-around for IE and Opera was fairly straight forward and still
works for them as well as for Chrome and Firefox. See
http://web.archive.org/web/20060421055400/http://garyblue.port5.com/webdev/scrollingtable.html
for a working example, written in 2004 and modified in 2006 for
non-compliant browsers, which now sorrily includes FF.

I'd consider this far more robust than using js to modify behavior.

cheers,

gary

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> for
> >> a correct solution?
> >
> > That has crossed my mind. I am close to getting it working with this:
> > http://nevcal.com/eclectic/UltimateScrollingTable.html
> >
> > But I would much prefer a pure CSS solution. How much would you want
> > to get for that?
>
> Just to close out this thread, I ended up using
> http://nevcal.com/eclectic/UltimateScrollingTable.html

90% of everything is crap, and that may be optimistic.