[html5] How to mark up FAQ

Gordon Baker gbakerled at outlook.com
Mon Mar 17 11:52:31 PDT 2014

> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:28:44 +0000
> From: ian at hixie.ch
> To: gbakerled at outlook.com
> CC: help at lists.whatwg.org
> Subject: Re: [html5] How to mark up FAQ

> There's an example in the spec of marking up a FAQ in the <dt> section:
>
> http://whatwg.org/html/#the-dt-element
Indeed -- how did I miss that whimsical example?!
> The WHATWG FAQ itself is marked up using <hx> and <p>.
 Yeah I noticed that but (1) thought it might have been a relic waiting to be updated and/or (2) didn't think wiki markup had any markup options such as dl's. Anyway, OK, the h-p structure is intentional.
> > The h1-p option would create an implicit section for each question and
> > affect the document outline. Perhaps that would be a good thing if you
> > wanted to create a TOC for the FAQ...
>
> Yeah, that's more or less why we use it in the WHATWG FAQ.
Got it.
> > The association list (dl) seems like a reasonable option if you don't
> > want to affect the document's outline. I'm not sure of any
> > advantages/disadvantages of this markup, though.
>
> There's not really any disadvantages that I can see.
>

> > The details-summary option seems nice if you want a "collapsed" FAQs,
> > particularly for those who don't know how to program in JS, but IE and
> > FF don't yet support this functionality AFAICT. Also not sure if FAQ was
> > an intended use of details-summary, semantically.
>
> It's a bit of a stretch, but could probably be defended.
Good to know.

> HTH,
Yup, will probably go with h-p, thanks.