[html5] Using <section> and <h1> … Theoretical?

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 9 11:27:25 PDT 2014

This comment is interesting (and echos what I'm hearing from the list
members here):

http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/use-html5-sectioning-elements#comment-39721

"The HTML5 Document Outline is supported by no browsers and should
just be ignored. One of the HTML5 editors has called it a “dangerous
fiction” (http://blog.paciellogroup.com/2013/10/html5-document-outline/),
it imparts no SEO benefits (at least none that anybody can cite), and
the W3C is changing the language about using multiple H1s as a result
of all the recent misunderstandings
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2014Jan/0004.html)."

Coincidentally, it looks like that last link points to a Steve
Faulkner post on the W3 list.

Ok, so, W3C is changing the language, but what is WHATWG doing (or,
have plans to do)?

Looking at this example:

<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-section-element>

Clearly, in that example, the <h1> is used in the same way that I
craft HTML5 documents.

In this example:

<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#headings-and-sections>

Multiple approaches work … The third code example in that section uses
the "<h1> approach", and states:

"This third example is also semantically identical, and might be
easier to maintain (e.g. if sections are often moved around in
editing)"

Having "easier to maintain" HTML is one reason why I prefer the "<h1> approach".

It's days like this that make me glad I have other skills outside of
web development. :D

Cheers,
Micky