[html5] Using <section> and <h1> ? Theoretical?

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 14 14:04:25 PDT 2014

Interesting conversation.

Honestly, I'm still trying to soak all of this in.

<my $0.0000002>

In terms of HTML5 sections, etc., I understand (now) why one would
choose to use an HTML4 heading approach (i.e., one <h1> per page,
etc.).

With that said, I'm concerned that W3C's new "authoring advice" will
make it so the HTML5 "vision" (or parts of it, as I see it) never
comes to fruition.

Steve, in reference to your "bringing it in line with reality" comment:

I'm probably not thinking clearly, but isn't the point of an
unfinished spec to be more forward-thinking? Why should an unfinished
spec conform to software and technology that's lagging behind in terms
of accepting a new way of doing things?

Shouldn't SEO tools/bots and screen readers conform to the new spec,
not the other way around?

Should I not be concerned that the W3C's decision to ignore the
outliner will make it so the <section>/<h1> technique becomes a thing
of the past?

Hehehe, I guess I'm really attached to using <section>/<h1>. Honestly,
it just makes sense to me. It's easy to understand. It's REALLY
helpful when dealing with lots of different content.

I don't want to go back to the HTML4 way of doing things.

I like that the HTML5 spec, especially (only?) the WHATWG's version,
gives me the option to use both techniques (I just happen to choose
the one that the W3C now advises not to use).

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill here?

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but for some reason this change just
rubs me wrong. I think my feathers got ruffled back when the W3C
dropped <hgroup>; this change just pushed me over an edge. :D

I guess I really like unicorns! :)

:: takes deep breath ::

Ahh, I feel better now that that's off my chest.

</my $0.0000002>

Thanks for listening.