[html5] Main and Section

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue May 27 15:24:45 PDT 2014

On Tue, 27 May 2014, Lewis Dexter Litanzios / ldexterldesign wrote:

> I'm confused about how to use <main>?
>
> "Where flow content is expected, but with no article, aside, footer, header or
> nav element ancestors." -
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/grouping-content.html#the-main-element
>
> ... yet Ian, you say it /can/ be used inside <article> and/or <aside> elems?
>
> Which is correct?

You're looking at the W3C fork of the HTML spec.

The WHATWG standard says:

   Contexts in which this element can be used:
   Where flow content is expected.

See: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/grouping-content.html#the-main-element

Differences like this are why I've previously asked the W3C to stop
forking the WHATWG specs, but they have so far refused.

HTH,