[html5] imagemap area with alt, without href

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Tue Feb 23 11:09:12 PST 2016

I have this page:  http://www.chaosreigns.com/
It's one big imagemap.  My problem is handling the text in the image that
is not links (usability for the blind / text browsers).  The obvious
solution seems like it would be areas with alt attributes and no href
attribute.  The spec says I can have areas without hrefs, but:

"If the area element has no href attribute, then the area represented by
the element cannot be selected, and the alt attribute must be omitted."
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/#the-area-element

Could the spec be changed, to allow an area with an alt and no href?

I've also tried it with image slicing and a table:
http://www.chaosreigns.com/index.slice.html
It works, but seems more problematic (chrome glitches while zooming, at
least).  And everybody says tables are terrible for layout, but I haven't
figured out how to do this without tables:

<Darxus> Is there some kind of guide to do this with a sliced image, and
         CSS instead of a table?
<preaction> no, since that's really not the point of CSS
- #css on freenode (which I realize is far from authoritative)

Also, the links to the web page for this mailing list, both from its own
welcome message, and https://about.validator.nu/#reporting-bugs are broken.