[html5] Should an empty title give an (X)HTML5 validation error?

Gonzalo HIGUERA DÍAZ gonhidi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 22:19:04 PDT 2017

> Gonzalo HIGUERA DÍAZ <gonhidi at gmail.com>, 2017-04-04 09:34 +0200:
> >
> > The (X)HTML5 validators[1,2] mark an empty title as an error. The only
> > explicit reference I have found to such a requirement is the 2013-08-06
> W3C
> > version of the standard.[3]
>
> The requirement is here:
>
>   https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/semantics.html#the-title-element
>
> > Content model:
> >   Text that is not inter-element whitespace.
> > The ASCII whitespace are always allowed between elements. User agents
> > represent these characters between elements in the source markup as Text
> > nodes in the DOM. Empty Text nodes and Text nodes consisting of just
> > sequences of those characters are considered inter-element whitespace.

Thank you for including the relevant text: it is embarrassing to admit that
I was looking for the definition of inter-element whitespace so obtusely
that I couldn't see that it was right before the defined term until I used
the browser's search function to find it.

(And thank you to Dominic for unearthing the commit where the change took
place.)

--
Gonzalo HIGUERA DÍAZ <gonhidi at gmail.com>