[html5] WHATWG's lack of responsiveness (was re: Suggestion to close this list)

Domenic Denicola d at domenic.me
Wed Aug 23 13:59:04 PDT 2017

Hi Stanton,

You may be interested in the history here. W3C “HTML5” is actually forked from the WHATWG HTML Standard; your claim that the W3C version is in some way authoritative or “full”, or that the WHATWG is redefining things, doesn’t really fit with the facts. See things like https://annevankesteren.nl/2016/01/film-at-11 or https://www.reddit.com/r/javascript/comments/5swe9b/what_is_the_difference_between_the_w3c_and_the/ . In fact, if you read up, you’ll see that W3C fork is not only based on the HTML Standard, but periodically copies and pastes from it, in precisely the reverse of your suggestion.

In particular, I don’t know what this “cheatsheet” is that you reference; we certainly don’t write the specification based on it, and I don't think it's fair to call us "unresponsive" if we don't update it, given that it's an unauthoritative source that we don't control or consult. In contrast, we're pretty responsive to actual bugs reported against the content of the spec; I'd encourage you to browse through https://github.com/whatwg/html/pulse to see the work we're doing on a daily basis. I'd love to hear about any particular GitHub issues you found unaddressed with "repeated reminders", so we can fix that; we try to be as responsive as possible.

It’s true that certain W3C editors have, over the years, redefined certain elements in ways that match how they like to write their personal documents. I think it’s best to treat this just as if any other person had decided to redefine an element for their own usage, e.g. how Twitter Bootstrap redefined <i> to mean “icon”. It’s against the HTML Standard, and writing it down in a forked document and being appointed “editor” by the forking organization doesn’t really make that redefinition authoritative or “correct”. (Neither does “real-world usage”; again, if that was the criteria, we would redefine <i> to mean icon, given how many pages use it that way.)

I don’t really intend to get into a debate here, as you seem to have some strongly felt opinions, and it is somewhat off-topic, but I think it’s important for you and the others on the list to be aware of the history and facts here.

(Apologies if you receive this twice; the first version was in HTML format and was too big for the list.)

---