[html5] WHATWG's lack of responsiveness (was re: Suggestion to close this list)

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 00:21:07 PDT 2017

> On 24 Aug 2017, at 07:53, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:
>
> I recommend reading through
>
>  https://whatwg.org/working-mode
>
> It's not so much about authority as it is about investigation, writing
> tests, figuring out requirements, and getting agreement. You could
> certainly become active if you wanted.

I wonder if this list would have been more active if those needing to "make a decision without input from all parties" were to post the question here for the rest of us to comment on.

Or did we try that and find it too onerous?

My experience of working with standards evangalists (MACCAWS - http://lab.dotjay.com/mirror/maccaws/kit/way-forward.html)  is that the more inputs you get, the slower the process becomes, but you do get a standard that is understood by more people.

This list provides access to a wider community. Closing it will reduce the WHATWG to a smaller, self contained and self appointed group. (I imagine)

That probably suits the WHATWG core team.

Makes me a bit sad though.