[imps] setting up, and keeping up, the html5 validator.nu java servlet

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Thu Aug 26 01:27:14 PDT 2010

> Do you know why there's a <&- in the command?

I can't remember. It's been too long since I cargo culted that part after googling for shell scripting tutorials.

> The problem I'm running into is that the servlet is quitting itself,
> possibly because of the result of not having stdin, or having
> unexpected stdin. I'm not familiar with enough with stdin and/or what
> the servlet is expecting. I tried the equivalent of </dev/null but
> that doesn't seem to fix the problem. launchd itself essentially
> doesn't allow for a stdin of "&-" so I'm looking for other
> alternatives. Do you have any ideas? Or possibly ways of modding the
> servlet to continue running despite receiving any stdin?

If you specify a stop port for the servlet (as the last command line parameter for nu.validator.servlet.Main or via --control-port= to build.py [undocumented, oops, sorry]), it doesn't try to read from stdin. When anything connects to the control port, the process shuts itself down, so be sure to protect the port in your firewall.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/