[imps] differing results from our v1.3 validator instance and w3c's

Rancid Iodine rancid.iodine at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 04:02:59 PST 2014

Good morning.

We have some instances of w3c validator v1.3 with the (by now of course
indispensable :) HTML5 validator.nu servlet on the back end, and we're
wondering why these give a bunch of identical errors in one line for the
same thing 12 in 12 different places like so:

===

*Line 295, Column 1265: syntax of attribute value does not conform to
declared value*

*[snip][/snip]*

*The value of an attribute contained something that is not allowed by the
specified syntax for that type of attribute. For instance, the “selected”
attribute must be either minimized as “selected” or spelled out in full as
“selected="selected"”; the variant “selected=""” is not allowed.*
===

I ask this because YOUR instance at http://validator.w3.org/ does not give
the same errors for exactly the same site/source.

I'm speculating that when we start the backend validator.nu servlet with
the usual "python build/build.py --w3cbranding all" we may not be getting
some relevant updates to recent standards, if your validator instance is
ignoring the same error. Does that sound likely to anyone, or is anyone
familiar with the error?

Thanks

Andrei