[whatwg] a few comments to Webforms 2.0 Call For Comments

Brian Wilson brian at opera.com
Tue Aug 3 09:33:55 PDT 2004

Matthew Raymond wrote:
> I'm no Javascript expert, but I believe there are actually two ways of
> getting an attribute. One if using GetAttribute, and the other is via a
> property of a specific element object. GetAttribute would give you the
> value set in the markup, whereas the object property would have the value
> used by the UA.

I was operating under the assumption that .property for an attribute would
return to me the spec default value for that attribute if it was not
filled in for some of my test cases...I'm realizing that can't really be
accurate according to the letter of the spec, because all these varying
min/max/step defaults for different INPUT types can not be enforced by the
DTD since the INPUT element is so overloaded. The DTD can not express this
complexity adequately to allow for the varying default values for these
attributes.

So - if I have
    <input type="datetime">
and request the field's .step property, is it ever possible to get "60"
legally as a default return value, or would UAs need to "hardcode" these
default values for each type?

Am I just missing something here?
-Brian

--