[whatwg] LABEL and radio/checkbox onclick

Chris Kaminski chris at setmajer.com
Tue Aug 3 11:43:52 PDT 2004

> But users do have a way of knowing when labels exhibit the HMTL 4.01
> specified behavior. It happens only in browsers.

And how many users know what a browser is? My experience indicates that
many--if not most--users have no clue where the browser ends and native apps
begin. Other web developers I've discussed the issue with tend to have
noticed the same thing. Barring research on the issue saying otherwise, I
tend to think that's a pretty fine distinction for most users to make.

> There are many software publishers that use refinements to UI that
> aren't strictly according to OS conventions, and users are typically
> not confused by these differences so long as the differences are not
> difficult to perceive and understand.

Right, but 'difficult' for whom?

>     You're not talking about specifying UI. You're talking about
> UNspecifying it, after a five years, when most browsers and nearly all
> of the browser marketshare is conformant.

Lack of functionality is a design decision just as is functionality. Just as
in an image, negative space has visual weight the same as positive space.
Two sides, same coin.

I'm not particularly fussed about <label> focus passing one way or the
other, truth be told. Personally, I think Fitt's Law tends to argue *for*
focus passing on graphical UIs (larger target -> faster acquisition). Other
than that, though, I'm not seeing any big deal either way.

ck