[whatwg] template element?

Wrigley, Ave Ave.Wrigley at itn.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 01:58:10 PDT 2004

> > Clearly, there
> > are a number of well developed server side templating minilanguages
> > that
> > (deliberately) use a syntax that is orthogonal to the HMTL markup.
>
> (Nowadays I tend to consider such orthogonality as a bug rather than
as
> a desirable feature, because such orthogonality leads to tag soup
> thinking and results.)

I don't think I understand this point - but I will let it go!

> > Without opening too much of a can of worms ... are there any lessons

> > to be learned / wheels left un-re-invented?
>
> For one thing, designing a terse templating language where
> the template directives are XML elements is hard. The supposedly terse
language
> becomes verbose really easily in my experience. See
> http://www.hut.fi/~hsivonen/cms/te.html#h106

Why do they have to be XML elements?
This email (and any attachments) is intended solely for the individual(s) to whom addressed. It may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any statement or opinions therein are not necessarily those of ITN unless specifically stated. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or copying is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Security and reliability of the e-mail and attachments are not guaranteed. You must take full responsibility for virus checking.

Independent Television News Limited,

Registered No. 548648 England,

VAT Reg. No: GB 756 2995 81,

200 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8XZ,