[whatwg] Re: comments on Web Forms 2.0, 27 June 2004

Michael Enright michael.enright at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 18:33:11 PDT 2004

[replying to digest]

On Fri,  6 Aug 2004 12:02:49 -0700 (PDT),
whatwg-whatwg.org-request at lists.whatwg.org
<whatwg-whatwg.org-request at lists.whatwg.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:52:23 -0700
> From: Mark Nottingham <mnot at mnot.net>
> Subject: [whatwg] comments on Web Forms 2.0, 27 June 2004
> <snip>
>
> * 2.1.2 Precision -- "fractional number" --> "decimal number"?
>
> <snip>

To me the phrase "decimal number" means a base-ten number, and on
first, second or third glance does not imply what "fractional number"
implies however awkwardly. I can't find dictionary entries for
"decimal number" but I can for "decimal fraction" (a proper fraction
written in decimal format) or "mixed fraction" (which can be written
in decimal format). The language in the spec which follows the phrase
"fractional number" mentions allowing a specific format except that
the number must always be greater than zero (why not zero?). The edit
I suggest, if "fractional number" is so bad, is "mixed decimal
fraction".