[whatwg] Suggestion for Menus in Web Forms 2.0

csant csant at csant.info
Sun Aug 8 22:45:05 PDT 2004

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 17:36:17 -0400, Matthew Raymond
<mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> so suddenly turning <link> into a menu system could cause serious
>>> problems.
>>  Like it becoming useful, perhaps. :-)
>
>     How about the fact that existing <link> elements are not necessarily
> ordered in a way that the webmaster might want them in a menu because
> many browsers group specific kinds of <link> elements in a predetermined
> fashion? What if the webmaster defines them in the order of { Last,
> Bottom, Next, First, Previous, Top }? I wouldn't want it to show up in a
> menu like that. But in current browsers, there's absolutely no reason
> not to put items in random order.

This is true only for graphical browsers - keeping text browsers (and,
possibly, speech browsers) in mind gives a different scenario: you might
want to order them by frequency of use (you need to move your cursor step
by step to the next <link> item, thus one keyclick for each step), and the
order might well be 'next previous bottom first last top' - but in any
case, having 'next' at the beginning is very user-friendly.

/c

--
[Quote]
And she, remembering other things, to me trifles but torturing to her,