[whatwg] Suggestion for Menus in Web Forms 2.0

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Aug 11 11:49:54 PDT 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 18:35, Matthew Raymond wrote:

>    "HTML5 applications will not be able to avoid that on some
> platforms   there will be a menu bar..."
>
>    If the markup asks for and is granted a chromeless window, why
> would it have a menu bar?

Déjà vu from n.p.m.ui back in 1999: mpt makes a valid point about a UI
matter but the other guy keeps missing the point due to lack of
experience with various GUIs (the Mac in particular).

In order to argue with mpt productively, you need background experience
of Mac OS 6 through 9 and knowledge about the potential contemporary
target platforms (Windows XP, Mac OS X, Gnome, KDE, ...).

FWIW, on the topic of chromeless windows:
In my opinion, it is none of the webmaster's business to take away my
window chrome. I'm not the only one who feels this way. At a party, I
mentioned that I filed a request for prefs for ignoring the chrome
hiding parameters when Mozilla executes window.open() and that the
feature was implemented. The person I mentioned this to reacted by
buying me a drink.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi