[whatwg] Suggestion: Implementation of Tabbed Forms

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 17 08:05:47 PDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > At the moment the spec says it would be:
> >
> >    <switch>
> >      <section>
> >        <h1>Exclusive Section 1</h1>
> >      </section>
> >      <section>
> >        <h1>Exclusive Section 2</h1>
> >      </section>
> >    </switch>
>
> I presume there is a mechanism for selecting a specific section. If so,
> would there be markup that would serve a function similar to a VB
> tabstrip? Will there be a markup solution to selecting a section?

The above is not a tabbed system, it's just a list of mutually exclusive
sections. Tabs are not mutually exclusive, they are just an unordered
group of related sections that are usually shown such that only one is
visible at any one time.

Anyway, the spec currently has a separate section for tabs, which says
that the tabbed version of the above would be:

    <tabbox>
      <section>
        <h1>Section 1</h1>
      </section>
      <section>
        <h1>Section 2</h1>
      </section>
    </tabbox>

The name <tabbox> will probably be changed to <group>. See the spec for
better examples. (Graceful degradation as your example had is possible
too, since non-section elements in the tabbox are ignored.)

> >    <page>
> >    <pages>
>
>    I actually kinda like the page metaphor. I presume there is a reason you
> rejected this? (Other than the obvious fact that the idea of pages within
> pages of an HTML document is a little strange.)

Yeah. They're not really pages. You could have several of these at once.