[whatwg] ISO 639 / ISO 3166 / ISO 4217 inputs

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 17 09:16:40 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Wrigley, Ave wrote:

> Have you considered defining language / country / currency inputs as
> part of Web Forms 2.0? Especially country codes - I don't know how many
> times I have seen different implementations of country selectors on web
> forms. It would be good to abstact this away, especially as it
> centralises the maintenance of the list of countries.

Unfortunately, official lists of languages, country codes, and currency
inputs often do not keep up to date fast enough for use in applications.
It is also common for applications to have different requirements in terms
of which countries, languages, currencies to display.

Thus it seems that it would be impractical to have a predefined list like
this.

Thanks for your input, though!