[whatwg] type="datetime" demo

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 17 09:32:33 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> > > Indeed, you can even see it in the example - using IE6 ... then return
> > > to the previous page using the back button, and it says this:
> > >
> > > First date and time:  Format: 15/7/4
> >
> > Oops. Fixed.
>
> Not really, as you now do not have a generic fixable script, as your
> script now has to define the format used.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. How is this different from
before I fixed the bug you pointed out above?

> It doesn't work with scripting disabled when you enter "15/7/4" and then
> use the back button after submission, no hint is available to the user,
> even though that is essential to me being able to submit the form.

It's not really that essential since many syntaxes are accepted. The error
page also gives you the syntax, and in a more complete implementation, the
server could detect a non-WF2 UA (since the syntax is not WF2-compliant)
and change the form appropriately when it sent it back.

Since many pages today (based on the research I did a few weeks ago) don't
have syntax examples at all, I don't think this is much of a problem.

> Also could you point me to the parts of the code where input
> type=datetime is checked for support?  Maybe I'm missing something, but
> I can't see that anywhere.

It's the line containing the first instance of the word "type" in the
script.

> Rather than producing examples that work when scripting is enabled on
> IE6, can we start seeing examples that work on NetFront or IE6 with
> scripting disabled.  IE6 + scripting doesn't have a problem with
> entering datetimes, it's a piece of cake, it's so scriptable you can do
> anything.

You are welcome to help with the examples.