[whatwg] LABEL and radio/checkbox onclick

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 17 15:18:59 PDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Web pages are a special GUI case where behavior needs to be as
> consistent as possible across all platforms.

This is IMHO untrue. If we want Web apps to be first-class citizens -- and
I see no reason why we shouldn't aim for that -- then they should fit in
with the OS in every way. Users will be using Web apps and native apps
interchangeably, and considering them equivalent. In particular, they will
do this significantly more than they would run the same Web apps on
different systems.

> Web authors need to know that the way their page behaves on their own
> platform is going to be the the same on all other platforms.

This is already not the case. For example, buttons look totally different
on different platforms. Listboxes act differently. And so forth.