[whatwg] LABEL and radio/checkbox onclick

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 18 03:49:02 PDT 2004

On 18 Aug, 2004, at 10:30 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Matthew Thomas wrote:
>>
>> ... Internet Explorer and Netscape 4 do not add the value of any
>> particular submit button to a GET URI if the Enter key is pressed, but
>> Opera and Gecko browsers arbitrarily choose the first submit button in
>> the form.
>
> I just added a paragraph to the spec that makes the Opera/Gecko
> behaviour correct:

The Opera/Gecko behavior was already correct per spec (as far as I
know), since exact behavior was undefined. Why does it need to be
defined?

It wouldn't make life any easier for authors. They would still have to
handle the no-submit case, for the same reasons they have to handle
invalid dates and all the rest -- to cater for non-WF2 clients (and for
defective/malicious submittors).

Nor would it make life any easier for UA implementors. It would just
give them fewer choices about how to design their code.

And nor would it make life any easier for end users. In fact the only
effect is to make life *harder* for end users, by making GET URIs
longer. This makes them (1) less likely to be completely visible (for
example, in a browser's address field), (2) more likely to break in
plain-text arenas (for example, multi-line URIs break in the What-WG
mailing list Web archives), and (3) harder for geeks to edit (for
example, having to arrow through the submit part of a URI to get to the
usefully editable part).

So why make it a requirement?

--
Matthew Thomas