[whatwg] LABEL and radio/checkbox onclick

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 18 06:16:26 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Hmm, yes. This is platform-dependent, though. Added:

>   match the platform's label behaviour. For example. on platforms
>   where clicking a checkbox label checks the checkbox, clicking a
>   be synthesised and fired at the checkbox.</p>

    There are a few problems with this:

1) When HTML 4.01 markup is transferred to a WF2 document, the <label>
behavior changes for the same markup with absolutely NO WAY TO RECOVER
THE PREVIOUS BEHAVIOR.

2) The webmaster cannot reliably predict the behavior of <label> on a
platform without extensive knowledge of that platform. Therefore, if the
webmaster is targeting a specific set of operating systems and browsers,
he must have knowledge of how the native UI handles labels for each
control he uses, rather than simply depending on the HTML 4.01 specified
behavior.

3) You're providing no method of detecting whether input is passed to
the associated control. Therefore, is there not a risk of multiple
events being fired at the control when Javascript is introduced to make
up for the lack of event passing on some platforms?

4) There's absolutely no way to know how <label> should behave when
associated with an <object> element.

    Please see the following message for what I believe to be a better
solution:

http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-August/001764.html