[whatwg] Re: Doctype FPI

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 03:45:57 PDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:52:00 +0200, Olav Junker Kjær <olav at olav.dk> wrote:
> > I could definitely see benefits to providing a validator service, if it
> > was clearly labelled as just doing very basic syntax checking.
>
> It would be genuinely useful with an online HTML5 "lint", which checked
> validity, but also higher level sanity, like javascript syntax, regular
> expression wellformdness, and warned of valid but dubious code like
> pattern="", min value larger than max, orphan repetition blocks, and so on.

You're welcome to create one, in fact I'm sure the W3 QA groups would
be very pleased to welcome you on board. The validator and other tools
already move in that direction.

> An expressive schema langaguage could be used for checking validity.

Will the WHAT-WG will be producing such a thing?

> Douglas Crockfords jslint http://www.crockford.com/javascript/lint.html
> could probably be used for the javascript part.

That would be dangerous, as it relies on a series of "sensible rules"
rather than anything that is actually bad in javascript (for example
the === rule is particular harsh, generally in webpages you need to
rely on the typeless nature of javascript.)

Jim.