[whatwg] Accesskey in Web Forms 2

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Aug 19 06:09:34 PDT 2004

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:14:30 +0300, Kai Hendry <hendry at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>> 1) Users can not easily tell what the accesskeys are.
>
> Their UA should do a better job of informing them.

Agreed; WA1 will probably give some way of automatically indicating access
keys. (I haven't really looked at this yet, hence the empty section.)

>> 2) Accesskeys can conflict with the UA binds.
>
> Their UA should do a better job of picking a key combination to
> activate them that doesn't interfere with their default UA binds.
>
> There's lots of possible modifier keys available to a UA - why override ALT.

Unfortunately there really aren't that many modifiers available, and ALT
is (on Windows) the standard for this kind of thing.

> Yes AccessKey isn't that well specified, but I think it can be fixed
> rather than completely removed.

Do you have any concrete suggestions? I've been looking at the feedback
the CSS group got on key-equivalent (which was removed from CSS3UI due to
the number of problems it had) and I'm not sure I see a good solution that
scales cross-platform and cross-device.