[whatwg] clear naming for WHAT work

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 07:13:51 PDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:32:13 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> I have been told, by people qualified to know, that what you write above
> is largely untrue or irrelevant or both.

Maybe they could say themselves, are these the same broweser
developers who do not understand DTD's ?

> The only real differences are on the parsing side (the source of the
> incremental rendering issue you like to bring up so often) and some minor
> differences in rendering, actually required by CSS,

How can CSS require changing to HTML parsing behaviour ?
Could you explain.

> > I think you need to come up with something a lot more persuasive than
> > this, users who don't understand namespaces are just as likely to
> > understand <what:output> as the whole tag to enter, all you need to do
> > is require that the only prefix to use is what, and stupid developers
> > won't need to know about "namespaces".  As to the boilerplate xmlns:
> > gibberish at the top, thanks to great decisions from browser vendors
> > like "standards mode rendering".  even the stupidest author understands
> > the importance of such gibberish.
>
> Based on talking with such authors, I do not believe what you write here
> to be in any way representative of the author population.

It's pretty representative of those I've talked to, of course now we
stuck that neither of us are at all able to talk to enough to get any
sort of representative sample.

> I was referring to fragmenting specs to create different versions for
> different parts of the Web, as opposed to having a single profile used by
> all devices.

So you expect both WebApps and WebForms to be used by all devices everywhere?

Jim.