[whatwg] Incremental rendering of forms

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 00:54:23 PDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:14:10 +0300, Max Romantschuk <max at provico.fi> wrote:
> The situation can change dramatically if you have two forms. If the
> layout is tricky enough finding a way to have the two forms co-exist and
> still keep to the given layout restrictions can be exceedingly difficult.

I sort of see the situation, although I've certainly never come across
it, it sounds though that problem is that the rendering language isn't
flexible enough, so instead of trying to change the mark-up to make it
possible, you should try and fix it properly in the rendering
language.

I personally don't actually believe the rendering language is too poor
for this, but it could well be the case, I'm sure the CSS WG would be
even more pleased to hear about the problems.

That is clearly the place to provide this.

> I also realize that a scenario like this is no stellar example in UI
> design. One form per page usually makes more sense. Despite of this I
> think we're better off with the option of having controls outside of the
> form than making a huge mess with hidden forms and Javascript meeting
> the demands set by the customer.

Except that's what we have, it's been conceded here that IE6 support
is required, so this solution does require a huge mess of javascript
to work, the feature isn't a trivial change, and I think for such a
weak use case as this (where you concede it's bad UI, and it's a
rendering language problem rather than any semantic mark-up use case.)
there's no reason to have it in WF2.

Jim.