[whatwg] template element?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sat Aug 21 17:07:37 PDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Wrigley, Ave wrote:

> Fair point, but there are already a number of other languages that
> already appear in HTML pages (scripting, CSS). Admittedly this is
> generally fudged to make them valid HTML by putting them in comments and
> such, and perhaps the point of WhatWG to to get away from this kind of
> kludge. However, is there any reason in principle that you couldn't use
> a separate template syntax (so long as it can be dealt elegantly by
> non-compliant browsers)?

Not particularly, if someone can come up with a good way of doing it.

It has to cope with being pre-filled (the way that you can prefill forms
in WF2 now, even with repetition templates). It has to cope with the DOM
and CSS. It has to be backwards-compatible (to a reasonable extent).

Note that the repetition stiff in WF2 was never meant to be a generic
repetition system. It's meant specifically for repeating form sections in
HTML. If we have a need for a generic template system, we should address
that for Web Apps 1.0. However, I haven't seen much demand for it, apart
from the "it would be nice" kind.