[whatwg] prefilling select

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Sun Aug 22 11:08:36 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:
 > What makes you think the first case is synchronous?

Section 6.1 says:
"If a select element or a datalist element being parsed has a data
attribute, then as soon as the element and all its children have been
parsed and added to the document, it should be prefilled."

Maybe this should be rephrased to indicate that the UA should begin
fetching data at this point, but the actual prefilling may happen later?

In section 6.2 it says:
"Before load events are fired, but after the entire document has been
parsed and after select elements have been filled from external data
sources (if necessary), forms with data attributes are prefilled."

Does that mean that the data should start loading at this time, but the
prefilling may finish later, after onload has fired? If this is the
case, maybe it would be useful with an event ("onprefilled"?) to fire
when the form is prefilled. Often you would want to have the form
disabled until it has finished prefilling.

 >>Maybe it would be more natural
 >>to use a method called loadData(uri) or something like that.
 >
 > We could do... What would setting the data attribute do? Nothing?

Maybe it could be read-only?

Olav Junker Kjær