[whatwg] doctype parsing

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Aug 22 15:06:55 PDT 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

>> Good question. Does anyone have a copy of Goldfarb who can answer this?
>
> I realise Goldfarb is hardly cheap, but I would expect anyone attempting
> to build a browser have a copy, it's kinda crucial to parsing HTML.

It really isn't.

> Maybe you could look in the Opera library Ian...

Apparently (based on what fantasai just told me) there is a copy in
Opera's reception. I'll look there.

> Or is Opera not even pretending that HTML is an SGML application, and
> the entire we follow standards is officially garbage, as well as in
> practice.

No user agent except the validator has ever pretended that HTML is an SGML
application, in the history of the Web, as far as I am aware. Certainly no
UA that has ever had any measurable market share.