[whatwg] Re: comments on Web Forms 2.0, 27 June 2004

Malcolm Rowe malcolm-what at farside.org.uk
Mon Aug 23 05:49:19 PDT 2004

Hi Ian,

>>> Why do they need to be uppercase?
>> RFC2119 explicitly defines them in upper case
> Where?

While RFC2119 doesn't explicitly require the terms to be in uppercase, they
are defined 'in' uppercase (that is, the definitions use uppercase
exclusively). They are also repeated in uppercase in the remainder of the
document, lending credence to the idea that they aren't just uppercase for
stylistic purposes.

Additionally, as Mark points out, pretty much every other RFC and spec uses
uppercase terms, and so not doing so here is unexpected.

> Every use of those terms in normative sections of the spec are occurances
> of RFC2119 terms. It shouldn't be that confusing.

And that's fine, but say so, because it isn't obvious.

I think I originally suggested lifting the prose from CSS 2.1:

"The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 (see [RFC2119]).
However, for readability, these words do not appear in all uppercase letters
in this specification."
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/conform.html#q1

Was there anything in particular you didn't like about that?

Regards,
Malcolm