[whatwg] [web-apps] Some comments

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Aug 23 17:07:09 PDT 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> # To ease migration from HTML to XHTML, UAs conforming to this
> # specification must place elements in HTML in the
> # http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace.
>
> How can HTML have a namespace?

In the markup, it can't. But in CSS, it's pretty much assumed that all
elements have a namspace, and in the DOM, there is a namespace attribute
on nodes that can be given a value.

The paragraph above (slightly clarified in more recent drafts) is just
saying that as far as those mechanisms go, HTML should be assumed to have
the XHTML namespace (which, as you point out, is pretty much what UAs do
anyway, to some extent).

> Maybe other things should be added as well. Example: UAs should render

Sending the XML variant of Web Apps or Web Forms as text/html is invalid
anyway, so we don't need to define that particularly IMHO. In fact frankly
I'd rather we supported <foo//.

> 2.2.6. The command element and commands
>
> Why is the content model of the COMMAND element empty? It would be a lot
> better imo if it was designed like BUTTON. That would also mean that the LABEL
> attribute can be left out.

Why would it be better? The whole point is that <command/> would be used
for the cases where you don't want anything to appear in legacy UAs. If
you do want something to appear, well you can use <button>.