[whatwg] Re: SHORTTAG NET

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 24 03:07:18 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:
>>Would it be at all possible to have this SHORTTAG feature implemented in
>>UAs these days? ...
>
> Too many documents of all kinds use the XHTML syntax, sadly.

Hmmm. That's what I suspected.

> then (we're talking like 2000 or something) it was so common to find pages
> with that kind of markup that Mozilla had to stop doing it. Now it's bound
> to be an even worse problem.

Oh well; I guess there will never be a main stream UA that fully
supports SGML, and thus HTML.

> It's a lost battle, sadly. That's why fantasai turned off SHORTTAG NET in
> the SGML declaration for WHATWG.

Fair enough; I guess it would only be useful as an historical curiosity
anyway, considering that most authors have never heard of such a thing
and wouldn't use it.  In fact, neither had until I read your XHTML
advocacy document.

I had thought that given a brand new doctype, it would be possible to
enable it using a DOCTYPE switch, but then realised that these documents
will more than likely be built and tested environments comprising mostly
IE tag-soup developers, and thus authors will more than likely to screw
it up anyway.

--
Lachlan Hunt

http://www.lachy.id.au/