[whatwg] WF2 part 1-3

Michael Enright michael.enright at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:56:23 PDT 2004

> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:48:48 +0200
> From: "Mark Schenk" <css at markschenk.com>
> Subject: Re: [whatwg] WF2 part 1-3
> To: "Ian Hickson" <ian at hixie.ch>, H?kon Wium Lie <howcome at opera.com>
> Cc: "whatwg at whatwg.org" <whatwg at whatwg.org>
>
><snip>
>
> I don't know if it is possible to have spaces inside attribute values (I
> don't have the apparently infamous Goldfarb book lying here, but as
> "title" can have spaces, I don't see why any attribute can't have spaces).
> If it is possible, why not introduce the following:
>
><snip>

There is a productions document that answers the question about spaces
in attribute values. I believe it was referred to in an earlier
message. It is available in two forms:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SGML/productions.html (internally hyperlinked
so that you can walk down from high-level non-terminals to lower-level
ones)

ftp://ftp.ifi.uio.no/pub/SGML/productions (Very similar content, not
hyperlinked internally, the cited source for the w3 document)

Both of these reference chapter numbers (apparently).

Since the HTML title attribute does need spaces, as does the style
attribute, it is not suprising that the productions basically do allow
spaces. A SPACE is a function character, and therefore a markup
character, and therefore a SGML character, and therefore a data
character, which satisfies replaceable character data, production 46.

Perhaps the linkage between HTML and SGML is not what it could be, but
I'm convinced that spaces are allowed.

-- Mike