[whatwg] [web-forms] Add ACCESSKEY to SELECT

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 19:43:43 PDT 2004

James Graham wrote:
> In my opinion, the problems with accesskeys are entirely with the
> implementations (although the HTML 4 spec may be a little limited in
> scope). Having a good implementation of accesskeys doesn't add to
> marketshare so little time is spent producing an innovative solution to
> the problems. Since any spec is unlikely to make people switch browsers
> based on the quality of their accesskey implementation, this situation
> is unlikely to change with either XHTML 2 or Web Forms.

    I agree. What's the point of |access| when you can just design the
UA to bind user-defined shortcuts to an element's |id|? The problem
isn't access keys or how they're specified. The problem is that UA
vendors have failed to provide a reasonable way to use access keys
effectively.

    Personally, I like the idea of a shortcut (like Ctrl-"+") that acts
as the invocation of access keys in place of Alt. The user agents could
even make it user defined. It's a little slow, though, so if someone has
a faster method, I'm all ears.