[whatwg] Re: ISO 639 / ISO 3166 / ISO 4217 inputs

Malcolm Rowe malcolm-what at farside.org.uk
Thu Aug 26 07:01:52 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson writes:
> The problem is that even if the list is updated, the UAs aren't. If this
> had been done from the start, people using IE2 would have ancient country
> lists, and there would be little that page authors could do about it.

I'd just like to note that both IE and Mozilla do actually contain an ISO639
list, for specifying values for Accept-Language. Mozilla also contains an
ISO3166 list, which, IIRC, is used in concert with the ISO639 list.

However, there's a difference between placing a country/language/region
dialog in an esoteric corner of preferences, where you might expect that
users could enter their language code (en-gb-hixie?) by hand if necessary,
and forcing it directly onto forms for all users.

> Also, note that vendors typically want to stay WELL away from specifying
> stuff like this.

Agreed. Mozilla has had the same 'problems'; q.v. Macedonia (F.Y.R. of?),
and Galician/Gallegan (the language).

Regards,
Malcolm