[whatwg] Incremental rendering of forms

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Aug 26 07:31:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Olav Junker Kjær wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> I have had repeated requests for this from Web authors, and received
>> numerous notes praising the idea since publishing a draft with it in.
>>
>> That's persuasive for me.
>
> I believe you, but could you summarize or point to some of the concrete use
> cases? I would like to be persuaded also.

There are various use cases and reasons, such as:

   * Not changing the content model of HTML element like <table> is quite
     important since there are many legacy parsing issues involved

   * Prefilling fields that are not contiguous from two different files
     (as in:
        English [ ............ ]
        Norwegian [ ...........]
        Norwegian [ ...........]
     ...where the English fields are one form, and the Norwegian fields
     are another.)

   * Having subforms, where you have, e.g., one form covering most of the
     page, and then little forms within it.

   * Being able to predefine the form submission URIs at the top of the
     page and then using them without having to think about what form an
     element is in.

   * etc.