[whatwg] Copyright of specifications

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Aug 27 15:00:08 PDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> > > Right, could you explain why you were not able to get it assigned to
> > > the public domain?
> >
> > I suggested it, but was told that it was better to have a copyright
> > supporting a liberal license than to have it in the public domain. One
> > reason was, if I recall correctly,
>
> If you recall it correctly?  Surely you can just look at the document
> which said the situation - you have got this in writing from Opera's
> lawyers I assume, we're not just relying on a conversation are we?

The suggestion of public domain was only brought up briefly during an
unminutted meeting, and was very quickly dismissed as unworkable by the
people who know such things. Like I said, I have no interest in
questioning the reasons or methods of our lawyers, just like they have no
interest in questioning the reasons or methods of my spec writing.

> > > I also do not think the rather simple statement is sufficient
> > > licence for me to accept, Opera could revoke the licence at any
> > > time.
> >
> > As far as I am aware, once a license has been granted, it can't be
> > "ungranted" unless the licensee breaks the license conditions.
>
> As you just said above, you're not a lawyer...  and I certainly have no
> idea about Norwegian law, but certainly in US law it's not possible to
> give a licence that cannot be revoked.

I shall forward your concerns.

> So I think I am right to be concerned, could you be clearer about
> exactly the advice the lawyers gave you,

No, I can't be any clearer than I have been already.

> I find it rather surprsing that after 2 months lawyers have come back
> with 1 sentance, I've never seen a lawyer write so little.

This would seem to be a good thing, not a bad thing.

> > No news on patent stuff yet.
>
> Why not?  What's happening, why the delay?

I have no idea, I'm not involved in the patent matter personally.

> how is Dave Hyatt coming along with his questions to Apple?

I shall let him answer this.