[whatwg] Re: Copyright of specifications

Ben Adida ben at mit.edu
Sat Aug 28 08:01:16 PDT 2004

As a lurker on this list and a tech advisor to Creative Commons, I'd
like to re-suggest a possibility that's already been quickly mentioned
on this list: a Creative Commons license for these specifications. I
agree that a public-domain grant is a bad idea at this point: you need
strong control at least for attribution purposes, with well-defined
rights for sharing and openness.

With Creative Commons, you'd get the following:
- continued copyright with the forward ability to assign copyright to
another organization (like W3C) in the future
- well-defined sharing, ability to reproduce, create derivative works,
etc...
- a license that's been looked over by a good deal of lawyers,
including universities, corporations, big IP lawyers in the valley,
etc...
- share-alike GNU-like property *if you want it*. I can see arguments
for and against this one, but the choice is there.

http://creativecommons.org

I'm happy to help think this through if I can be useful.

-Ben Adida
ben at mit.edu