[whatwg] Re: <object> form controls

Malcolm Rowe malcolm-what at farside.org.uk
Sun Aug 29 11:40:20 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson writes:
>> I can see no reason that an <object> might not be used to allow the user
>> to edit (for example) a spreadsheet, SVG diagram, or rich-text field.
>> Simply because the majority of plugins are output only doesn't mean that
>> they all have to be.
> True. But plugins aren't going to work reliably across platforms anyway,
> so aren't a real solution to anything here.

They aren't a solution for everybody, agreed, but that doesn't mean they
might not be a solution for some people. Let's not prevent some people from
using <object> as a form control simply because we don't think it's the
'right' way to do it.

(Are we talking at cross-purposes? I wasn't proposing <object> as a
WHATWG-related solution...)

>> (From a technical point-of-view: Can [Netscape] plugins actually provide
>> data for form submission? I didn't think they could, so in practice,
>> this may be restricted to ActiveX controls).
> I don't think the NPAPI currently supports that. But if it did, it could
> just as easily have a way of saying "handle labels that point to me like
> this".

How do labels relate to <object>-based form controls?

ah, I've come in half-way through another thread, haven't I?  I wasn't
suggesting anything remotely related to <label> controls, just asking about
<object> as a form control.  Sorry for any confusion.

Regards,
Malcolm