[whatwg] Standard method to get/set caret position

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 12:46:31 PDT 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:44:56 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
> >
> > While working on a javscript tool, I needed a way to get and set the
> > caret position in a textbox.
>
> Interesting. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you were doing that
> required access to the caret position? If I may ask.

The typical use case for this, is some sort of rich editor, where a
user can use a button to add some sort text content into a text area,
so perhaps you'd have a button to add an email address from your
address book into an email you're authoring (ie to send to someone
else)

For webapps this would certainly be common requirements,  as to what's
best to do, I've not thought about it yet...

Jim.